Click here to open Video
The International Natural Hair Meetup Day is an annual one-day event. Its purpose is to allow the opportunity for women across the country to meet in their own communities while networking, sharing and meeting (virtually) other women across the country participating in meetups on the same day. Natural hair meetups are events designed to share information, techniques, inspiration and products to aid individuals in their natural hair journey.
Attendees of the natural hair meetup will be able to:
- Meet other naturals in their area
- Gain exposure to natural hair product lines and companies
- Learn the process of planning and executing a natural hair meetup (event hosts)
- Meet natural hair and beauty bloggers and Youtube vloggers
- Network with other natural hair meetup organizers (event hosts)
- Discover resources, techniques, products and people that can serve as inspiration and information for the natural hair care journey
- Adeea Rogers, a.k.a. The Trendy Socialite, is a speaker, blogger and YouTube vlogger. People who follow The Trendy Socialite blog or YouTube Channel set their own trends and definition of beauty and success and are engaged and active in their communities; thereby demonstrating what a “Trendy Socialite” embodies.In 2011, Adeea began to host meetups to meet an overwhelming need for camraderie and education regarding natural hair in her own community. Drawing on her 12+ years of event planning and programming experience, Adeea has successfully hosted meetups for approximately 150 women in the Greenville, NC and surrounding communities.In 2012, Adeea founded International Natural Hair Meetup Day. With over 50 cities, 35 states and several countries internationally, INHMD is the #1 multi-city natural hair meetup day in the world. Adeea has extended her expertise and ability into training and consulting with up and coming event hosts. In July 2013, Adeea created iGrind Naturally–a private FaceBook Group for bloggers, vloggers, event planners and brand owners in the natural hair, fashion, beauty and wellness communities.Adeea is a proud alumna of East Carolina University where she currently works in the Department of Student Involvement and Leadership. Adeea is committed to reinstituting values, style and class many have forgotten. The Trendy Socialite woman has manners, style, grace and elegance. She seeks to influence and encourage other women in all of her interactions–online, in person, through her sorority, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. or through championing the social cause of Domestic Violence Prevention.When she thinks no one may be looking, Adeea likes to sing loudly in her car and is never too far away from Twitter.
Quintella Bester is in her 2nd year of her journey of healthy natural hair. This journey has brought her many challenges but also many opportunities. She founded the meetup group “STL Naturalle Divas”. She hopes that her experiences will help others on their journey.
*Returning Committee Member
Kimberly Carswell began her career in cosmetology at Regis Salon in the late 1980s after attending the American Beauty College in Gulfport, MS. After moving to Macon, Ga, Kim worked in different salons until she opened her own salon, Kim’s Upscale Salon, in 2007. Kimberly is also an educator with Design Essentials since 2010.
Kimberly Carswell proudly serves as First Lady of the church pastored by her husband of 27 years, Pastor Bobby Carswell, Sr. They have three sons and she also have six grandchildren. Kim enjoys spending time with her family, reading, and teaching her clients how to properly care for their hair.
Terran Dampier, from St. Louis, MO, has always been a lover of hair, skin, and nails. After cosmetology school she received her undergraduate degree in Sports and Entertainment Management with a minor in Marketing and a graduate degree in Corporate Management. Despite the journey into corporate American she remained extremely passionate about the natural hair industry; moving from actually performing hair services to consulting new naturals, transitioners, as well on skincare. In 2009, through her love for research and consulting she created a natural based hair and skin care product line called TuShea Butter Cream. With awesome reviews TuShea Butter Cream has serviced clients all over the United States as well as in parts of Canada. “Beyond the sky is the limit” is what Terran uses to encourage others to pursue and reach their dreams. Terran can be found online viaFaceBook, Twitter and Instagram (@TuSheaButter)
Farah Etienne a.k.a Faeluv25 on You
tube, helped to create Naturals in the Sun™ as a support system for those who embrace their natural hair in the South Florida area. Though regular meet-ups, social events, and community service Faeluv25 and Naturals in the Sun™ are promoting camaraderie amongst naturals regardless of texture or length of time being natural.
*Returning Committee Member
Jiquay Glenn discovered the natural hair community last year and fell in love with it. She immediately submerged herself in “all things natural,” and hasn’t looked back since. She finds that her transition to natural hair goes hand in hand with not only her personal quest to live authentically but also with the Self empowering advice she gives to her many clients as a “Life” Mentor. She thoroughly enjoys sharing and exchanging advice with as many people and naturals as possible.
*Co-Chair, Social Media Committee and Returning Committee Member
Keiann Gravesande currently works as a Customer Care Representative for the leading mobile network provider in the country. As she became more holistically health conscious, she decided to go natural in December 2011. At this time, she discovered the natural hair community and immediately fell in love. “I then found myself wanting to know about my natural hair and how to care for it” stated Keiann.
Not too long thereafter, Keiann became addicted and started developing her own natural hair products. After receiving so many compliments and questions about her hair, she started making these natural hair products for others who consulted her to use for themselves. Keiann Gravesande is currently in the process of developing her natural hair care product line.
She loves to educate others on what she has learned along her wonderful natural hair journey.
I am Samantha Horton, Co-Founder of FCA Naturals, I am a mother of two boys, a wife to a wonderful man, a recent recipient of a Master of Arts in Public Administration and a licensed cosmetologist for over 15 years. I started my natural hair journey in March of 2010 after being relaxed for over 28 years. I received my first relaxer at age four, and after years in cosmetology, always felt the need to end the chemical process for health reasons. After taking the leap an cutting off the relaxer, my eating habits changed, I lost 45 pounds, I became a Zumba instructor and a vegetarian. My eradicating the relaxer lead to a deeper sense of consciousness that I passionately share with others. The word “natural” has a such a rich an broad meaning and I absolutely love the journey!
Bridgett Lee is Houston, Texas native currently living in Austin, Texas. She obtained her Masters Degree in Public Administration from Texas State University San Marcos and her Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice from Huston-Tillotson University.
She created Tresses Kinks & Twists in 2012 to address the need for natural hair information and community in the Austin area. After hosting her first INHMD event she knew that the natural hair community is where she belonged. Hosting events and meeting other naturals is her passion.
Lufituaeb HairWhisperer McCray is a Natural Hair Care Specialist in Statesboro, Ga. and the Owner & Operator of That’s No Lye: Natural Hair & Braiding Boutique. Lu is also the administrator of Natural In The Boro. You can find her and her group on FaceBook, on Twitter and on Instagram at @thatnolye.
April McKisick is from Forrest City, Arkansas and has an intense passion for education, wellness and natural hair. After working in higher education for several years, she completed her MBA from University of Maryland University College (UMUC) in 2011. She also co-founded FCA Naturals in 2010, due to the increasing need for information on natural hair in her community. FCA Naturals, LLC, a Facebook group, page and website offers information, support and guidance for those transitioning to natural hair. Currently, April enjoys life as a mother, working full time in her business, creating natural hair products, and planning informational natural hair and wellness events. The concept of self love and acceptance is extremely important part of her everyday life and is at the heart of her company’s message.
*Chair, Meetup Coordinators and Returning Committee Member
Darice Rene is a sales professional by day and an event planner for the natural hair community based in Indianapolis (Naptown) Indiana. With rave reviews, Darice creates opportunities for women to become more educated and empowered about how to grow healthy, natural hair. She is an avid reader and researcher who develops natural hair products atwww.curllyNAPtress.com. When Darice is not immersed in all-things natural hair, she publishes articles on the web and dishes on life at her personal blog as grownupforeal.
*Chair, Content Committee and Returning Committee Member
Marci Toliver is the creator and developer of Coily Encounters, and can be found socially, on her Youtube channel through Coily Encounters andTwitter. Coily Encounters is also a Facebook community which hosts conversations about natural hair with its members who are mostly from Upstate, SC. Marci has always been known for being innovative and having a flair for the imaginative! Marci incorporates her African Heritage into an annual Natural Hair Event held in September, “9-1-1 What Is Your Hair Emergency®” featuring The Imani School of Dance. Marci Toliver is also one of the co-founders of Natural Connections, which partners with stylists, to present various natural hair events across the country, and can be located at www.connectingnaturals.com.
Auset Price is the owner of Hair Esteem Internatural, a natural hair and wellness company. Her philosophy has always centered around a holistic approach to the maintenance and styling of hair. With over 13 years experience as a natural hair specialist and stylist, she conducts and facilitates workshops and serves as the organizer of the San Diego natural hair meetup, and natural hair specialist for Sol City Beauty (Design Essentials). Auset also works as a health consultant and massage therapist, with her company Organik Sol Therapy. She has been a fellow “Naturalista” for over 19 years as well as a proud mother of 4 beautiful children.